[alsa-devel] iec958 switch uneffective while playing ac3 stream (was: SPDIF/IEC958 sample rate on HDA/ALC882)

Dag Lem dag at nimrod.no
Sun Mar 25 10:36:19 CEST 2007

Dominique Dumont <domi.dumont at free.fr> writes:

[...]

> But while playing ac3 with ac3dec, nothing happens. No verb is sent to
> the codec, and the 'digital source' indicator on my amp stays on.

That is probably caused by the following setting in
/etc/alsa/cards/HDA-Intel.conf:

name "IEC958 Playback Switch"
lock true

If you change that to "lock false" you will be able to flip the switch
while the device is open.

IIRC the lock setting is effective if you specify the device "default"
or "iec958", but not if you specify "hw:0,1". I assume this is why you
get different results with PCM and AC3 playback.

--
Best regards,

Dag Lem