[alsa-devel] [Alsa-devel] Quality resampling code for libasound

Rene Herman rene.herman at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 16:27:26 CET 2007

On 03/21/2007 02:14 PM, Takashi Iwai wrote:

> In the ideal situation, we may link to speex resampler as a dynamic
> library -- e.g. adding a configure option to let user choose the
> built-in or system-wide library resampler code.  Does libspeex
> provide this code snip as exported?

There's one problem with that solution though; people generally don't
compile and install alsa-lib themselves these days and since
distributions may not be too keen on having their alsa-lib package
dependent on their speex package they might just compile with the
builtin code.

Users of these distributions would then have to be fairly familiar with
alsa to know they could improve sound by recompiling alsa-lib against
the speex libraries, but given that it's (also) dirt cheap soundcards
that need the resampling, their users aren't too likely to _be_ fairly
familiar. They'd just observe (still) that their sound is "much better
on windows".

If the standard code is as lousy as I've read in this thread, keeping it
as default is probably not the best thing.

Rene.