[alsa-devel] Using aplay and arecord on an ARM

Paul Kavan pkavan at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 17:40:51 CEST 2007

On 6/20/07, Paul Kavan <pkavan at gmail.com> wrote:

> Okay:
>
> Here is where I ran into troubles yesterday. I am working on configuring
> alsa-utils. When I do:
>
> CC=arm-linux-gcc ./configure --target=arm-linux --with-versioned=no
> --prefix=/usr --host=i686-pc-linux-gnu
>
> I get the error:
>
> grhuser at pcL7:$ CC=arm-linux-gcc ./configure --target=arm-linux
> --with-versioned=no --prefix=/usr --host=i686-pc-linux-gnu
> configure: WARNING: If you wanted to set the --build type, don't use
> --host.
>     If a cross compiler is detected then cross compile mode will be used.
> checking for gawk... no
> checking for mawk... mawk
> checking for i686-pc-linux-gnu-strip... no
> checking for strip... strip
> checking whether NLS is requested... yes
> checking for msgfmt... /usr/bin/msgfmt
> checking for gmsgfmt... /usr/bin/msgfmt
> checking for xgettext... /usr/bin/xgettext
> checking for msgmerge... /usr/bin/msgmerge
> checking for i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc... arm-linux-gcc
> checking whether we are cross compiling... yes
> checking for suffix of executables...
> checking whether arm-linux-gcc accepts -g... yes
> checking for arm-linux-gcc option to accept ISO C89... none needed
> checking dependency style of arm-linux-gcc... gcc3
> checking for ld used by GCC...
> /home/grhuser/Linux_Builds/buildroot/build_arm/staging_dir/arm-linux-uclibc/bin/ld
> checking if the linker
> (/home/grhuser/Linux_Builds/buildroot/build_arm/staging_dir/arm-linux-uclibc/bin/ld)
> is GNU ld... yes
> checking for shared library run path origin... done
> checking for CFPreferencesCopyAppValue... no
> checking for CFLocaleCopyCurrent... no
> checking for GNU gettext in libc... no
> checking for iconv... no, consider installing GNU libiconv
> checking for GNU gettext in libintl... no
> checking whether to use NLS... no
> checking for i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc... (cached) arm-linux-gcc
> checking whether we are using the GNU C compiler... (cached) yes
> checking whether arm-linux-gcc accepts -g... (cached) yes
> checking for arm-linux-gcc option to accept ISO C89... (cached) none
> needed
> checking dependency style of arm-linux-gcc... (cached) gcc3
> checking whether ln -s works... yes
> checking for ALSA CFLAGS...
> checking for ALSA LDFLAGS...  -lasound -lm -ldl -lpthread
> checking for libasound headers version >= 1.0.12... not present.
> configure: error: Sufficiently new version of libasound not found.
>
> I know there has to be a flag or something here I need to set. Does anyone
> know what that might be?
>
> Paul

I think what occurs here is that the configure script is using my
cross-compilers and associated libs in

$HOME/Linux_Builds/buildroot/build_arm/staging_dir/

while the libs are actually given in

$HOME/Linux_Builds/buildroot/build_arm/root/usr/lib/

I am looking at the README and INSTALL and do not see a solution to this.

Does anyone have a solution to this?

Thanks.

Paul