[alsa-devel] Writing an AT91SAM9260-EK Dumb Codec Driver

Paul Kavan pkavan at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 16:41:05 CEST 2007

On 6/19/07, Liam Girdwood <lg at opensource.wolfsonmicro.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 2007-06-18 at 14:30 -0500, Paul Kavan wrote:
>

> > Am I at a point now where I can try to get alsa-lib and alsa-util in
> > place? If so, what version? I found some tars at:
> >
> > http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa/ftp/lib/
> >
> > Is that the best place to get them? I am using buildroot, but not sure
> > if ALSA stuff is ready for primetime there. I guess I should check on
> > this asap.
> >

> Afaik, there is an issue with buildroot atm (please someone correct me
> if it's now fixed) when it comes to building alsa-lib for ARM. (please

No, I think you are right. I have tried a few recommended patches, but they
do not work.

Fwiw, I use openembedded for all my embedded builds without any problems
> atm. http://www.openembedded.org

At some point when I have some time, I am going to give it a try. I have
managed to build the libs and have those in my rfs using:

 CC=arm-linux-gcc ./configure --host=arm-linux
--prefix=$HOME/buildroot/build_arm/root/usr --with-versioned=no

...and then...

make install

With this, I get the /usr/ entries in my rfs. However, I have had troubles
building alsa-utils. When I try:

CC=arm-linux-gcc ./configure --host=arm-linux
--prefix=$HOME/buildroot/build_arm/root/usr --with-versioned=no

I get:

grhuser at pcL7:$ CC=arm-linux-gcc ./configure --host=arm-linux
--prefix=$HOME/buildroot/build_arm/root/usr --with-versioned=no
configure: WARNING: If you wanted to set the --build type, don't use --host.
    If a cross compiler is detected then cross compile mode will be used.
checking for gawk... no
checking for mawk... mawk
checking for arm-linux-strip... arm-linux-strip
checking whether NLS is requested... yes
checking for msgfmt... /usr/bin/msgfmt
checking for gmsgfmt... /usr/bin/msgfmt
checking for xgettext... /usr/bin/xgettext
checking for msgmerge... /usr/bin/msgmerge
checking for arm-linux-gcc... arm-linux-gcc
checking whether we are cross compiling... yes
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether arm-linux-gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for arm-linux-gcc option to accept ISO C89... none needed
checking dependency style of arm-linux-gcc... gcc3
checking host system type... arm-unknown-linux-gnu
checking for ld used by GCC...
/home/grhuser/buildroot/build_arm/staging_dir/arm-linux-uclibc/bin/ld
checking if the linker
(/home/grhuser/buildroot/build_arm/staging_dir/arm-linux-uclibc/bin/ld) is
GNU ld... yes
checking for shared library run path origin... done
checking for CFPreferencesCopyAppValue... no
checking for CFLocaleCopyCurrent... no
checking for GNU gettext in libc... no
checking for iconv... no, consider installing GNU libiconv
checking for GNU gettext in libintl... no
checking whether to use NLS... no
checking for arm-linux-gcc... (cached) arm-linux-gcc
checking whether we are using the GNU C compiler... (cached) yes
checking whether arm-linux-gcc accepts -g... (cached) yes
checking for arm-linux-gcc option to accept ISO C89... (cached) none needed
checking dependency style of arm-linux-gcc... (cached) gcc3
checking whether ln -s works... yes
checking for ALSA CFLAGS...
checking for ALSA LDFLAGS...  -lasound -lm -ldl -lpthread
checking for libasound headers version >= 1.0.12... not present.
configure: error: Sufficiently new version of libasound not found.

Not sure what is the problem here. I have

file:///home/grhuser/buildroot/build_arm/root/usr/lib/libasound.so.2.0.0

in my rfs. Any suggestions?

Paul

Liam

--