[alsa-devel] snd_pcm_lib_malloc_pages()

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Tue Jun 12 14:25:08 CEST 2007

At Mon, 11 Jun 2007 18:49:04 -0500,
Timur Tabi wrote:

> (resending since I haven't gotten a reply yet)
>
> Liam
>
> Why do none of the ASoC drivers use snd_pcm_lib_malloc_pages()?  They all allocate their
> DMA buffers by hand.

Maybe because the common ALSA allocator doesn't do always good for
ARM.  For example, it doesn't provide a way to allocate via
dma_alloc_writecombine().

Since long time ago, I'm inclined to get rid of ALSA common allocator
and replace with normal dma_alloc_* in each driver.  But, I haven't
finished it because of lack of necessary functions like
dma_mmap_coherent() for all architectures...