[alsa-devel] Hidden rate conversion, and Alsa configuration

stan stanl at cox.net
Fri Jul 27 19:53:16 CEST 2007

On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 11:59:53 -0400
"Lee Revell" <rlrevell at joe-job.com> wrote:

> On 7/27/07, Alan Horstmann <gineera at aspect135.co.uk> wrote:
> > Could you give pointers as to how to modify Alsa configuration so
> > that rate conversion can never happen, as I would prefer to have an
> > error accessing the sound card rather than unknown conversion,
> > which in my use should never be neccesary anyway.
>
> Simply open the hw device rather than the default, dmix, or plughw
> device.
>
> Lee

When I use the following call with device_to_use == "plughw:0,0"
it works just fine.  When I try to use device_to_use == "hw:0,0"
it gives a segmentation fault.  Is there a special initialization needed
to use the hw plug?

err = snd_pcm_open (&alsa_dev, device_to_use, SND_PCM_STREAM_PLAYBACK, 0);

Thank you for any clarification.