[alsa-devel] dmix and sounds less than 64kb

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Tue Jul 24 16:52:12 CEST 2007

At Thu, 19 Jul 2007 12:59:32 -0700,
Aaron "Caustik" Robinson wrote:

> We have found that the problem exists because, at certain points in time,
> the hardware pointer and application pointer overlap. Basically the hardware
> is reading from the period buffer which is currently being written to. How
> might this be platform specific? Is there any debugging technique you think
> may help find the root cause?

It sounds unlikely a platform-specific problem but rather a problem of
the driver implementation.

Note that the hw_ptr and appl_ptr tracked in pcm struct are within 0
and (runtime->boundary_size - 1).  It's not within 0 and
(buffer_size-1).  So, basically it shouldn't overlap unless it goes
across the boundary close to long (32bit or more).

Takashi