[alsa-devel] Query regarding ALSA control interface

Clemens Ladisch cladisch at fastmail.net
Tue Jul 24 08:57:30 CEST 2007

Pharaoh . wrote:
> Now, I have to implement a control which takes four different values..namely
> 0,1.100 and 101. In this case what shoud be the type of control? It should
> be ENUMERATED or INTEGER? I am confused here since the values are not
> exactly in a range.

An INTEGER control takes numeric values in a specific range, while an
ENUMERATED control takes values that are not numerically related (but
that are _internally_ represented as integers in a specific range).

In your case, you'd probably want to use an enumerated control with the
range 0..3, which maps to the four names "0", "1", "100" and "101".

HTH
Clemens