[alsa-devel] Unable to find an usable access for 'default'

Clemens Ladisch cladisch at fastmail.net
Fri Jul 6 12:50:27 CEST 2007

Timur Tabi wrote:
> Clemens Ladisch wrote:
> > It means that the plug plugin (that the ALSA lib uses to automatically
> > convert between sample formats) was not able to find any combination of
> > format/rate/channels/access that would work with your hardware.
>
> ... When you say "access", what do you mean by that?

ALSA-lib's access type specifies whether to use mmap or not, and whether
the sample are interleaved or not.  (The SNDRV_PCM_INFO_*INTERLEAVED and
SNDRV_PCM_INFO_MMAP* flags specify the capabilities of the device.)

> > It is possible that some entries in the snd_pcm_hardware struct are set
> > in an inconsistent way.  Please show the code of the driver.
>
> I'd like to show the code, but the project is unannounced, so I can't
> yet.  Can you give me a suggestion as to what I should be looking for to
> resolve this?

Look at the values in the snd_pcm_hardware structure and at the
constraints the driver adds manually, if there are any.

HTH
Clemens