[alsa-devel] PS3 - Surround sound on SPDIF set-up

gt bradley baykelper at gmail.com
Fri Jul 6 00:37:48 CEST 2007

Crud   :(

 I had asked them and they said that the hypervisor should allow for AC3
pass-through.  In my inital review of the snd_ps3.c code, it looked like it
was basically a data-pump, handling the DMA & interupts to move data from
the passed in stream to the h/w (via the hypervisor).  I also assumed that
the iec bits (in headers in the SPDIF frames) were being set by higher
levels in the software stack.

If the bits are being set by the hardware and/or hypervisor then I'll have
to fall back to plan "B".

I've been programming for 20+ years, and have put kernel mods into
production, but the last kernel hacking/device driver I did was in SYSV.  I
can forward changes/fixes to Geoff, for inclusion rolling things
"upstream".  I don't have direct access to inside information other than the
source-code, but can forward the requests for more detailed info.

let me know if I can help
GT

p.s.  thanks for your time and patience.