[alsa-devel] left/right bleed or crossover

Howdy Pierce howdy at cardinalpeak.com
Wed Jul 4 01:02:49 CEST 2007

Takashi Iwai wrote:
> Howdy Pierce wrote:
>> I'm encountering the following problem on Fedora Core 6 running on a Dell
>> Optiplex 745.  This is a pretty vanilla computer with an ICH8 chipset and
>> integrated AD1983 sound capabilities.
>>
>> I have wired up a funky line-input cable so that I have completely
>> separate audio sources playing on the left and right inputs.
>>
>> When I either play these through to the speaker output directly (using
>> alsamixer), or record the audio using arecord, the result is that there
>> is a slight bit of bleeding or crossover, so I can faintly hear the left
>> input on the right channel, and vice versa.  If I record a wav file and
>> then play it on another computer, the left/right bleeding follows the wav

>> file, so it seems that the problem is in the capture process somehow.
>>
>> When I install Windows XP onto the same machine, the problem disappears,
>> so I can rule out hardware errors.
>>
>> The application I'm working on relies on being able to reliably capture
>> the right and left channels of audio independently.  Since the problem
>> can be seen using the standard arecord/aplay tools, though, I don't think

>> it's my code.
>>
>> I've tried all the possible combinations inside alsamixer, and I don't
>> think there's anything I've messed up there.
>
> To investigate where the problem exists, try to use "hw" PCM first
> without alsa-lib plugins.  If the problem still remains, it's in the
> driver (that I don't expect since your codec dump looks sane to me).

Thanks for the response.

I assume you want me to record something with
    arecord --device=hw:0,0
?

The problem still exists with that command line.  Where do I need to look
next -- the kernel driver?  Any theories as to what might be happening here?
Has anyone seen something similar before, perhaps on other hardware?

--Howdy

  Howdy Pierce
  Managing Partner
  Cardinal Peak, LLC