[alsa-devel] Errors in application building

Paul Kavan pkavan at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 21:06:14 CEST 2007

On 7/3/07, Paul Kavan <pkavan at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 7/3/07, Lee Revell <rlrevell at joe-job.com> wrote:
> >
> > On 7/3/07, Paul Kavan <pkavan at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > grhuser at pcL7:$ arm-linux-gcc -Wall -o grh_audio grh_audio.c
> >
> > You need to add -lasound to the gcc command line.
> >
> > Lee
> >

> Thanks Lee. I was digging and just found that. When I tried, I lose all
> the other errors, still keep the warnings, but get a new error. The compile
> attempts looks like this:
>
>  arm-linux-gcc -lasound -Wall -o grh_audio grh_audio.c
> grh_audio.c: In function 'grh_capture':
> grh_audio.c:112: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 3 of
> 'snd_pcm_hw_params_set_rate_near' differ in signedness
> grh_audio.c: In function 'grh_playback':
> grh_audio.c:207: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 3 of
> 'snd_pcm_hw_params_set_rate_near' differ in signedness
> /home/grhuser/buildroot/build_arm/staging_dir/lib/gcc/arm-linux-uclibc/4.1.2/../../../../arm-linux-uclibc/bin/ld:
> cannot find -lasound
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>
> I guess I am not sure where lasound ought to be....do you know what file
> name I should be looking for and where it should be located for proper
> compiling?

OK, my face is more than a little red. Was making that much more difficult
than it needed to be. Moved the asound libs to my staging directory and the
program compiles to an executable...although with the two warnings:

grhuser at pcL7:$ arm-linux-gcc -lasound -Wall -o grh_audio grh_audio.c
grh_audio.c: In function 'grh_capture':
grh_audio.c:112: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 3 of
'snd_pcm_hw_params_set_rate_near' differ in signedness
grh_audio.c: In function 'grh_playback':
grh_audio.c:207: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 3 of
'snd_pcm_hw_params_set_rate_near' differ in signedness

Which comes from the code:

112:   if ((err = snd_pcm_hw_params_set_rate_near (capture_handle,
hw_params, &sample_rate, 0)) < 0)

207:   if ((err = snd_pcm_hw_params_set_rate_near (playback_handle,
hw_params, &sample_rate, 0)) < 0)

I followed a piece of example code. I will look at this function to see if I
can parse this warning out.

Paul

--
Paul David Kavan