[alsa-devel] intel-hd on an intel G33 motherboard

Lee Revell rlrevell at joe-job.com
Thu Dec 27 03:30:42 CET 2007

On Dec 26, 2007 7:47 PM, Tobin Davis <tdavis at dsl-only.net> wrote:
> Ok, the second codec is the HDMI port.  For some reason, it is getting
> assigned to be primary sound device.  Try "alsamixer -D hw:1.0" to see
> if it can control the realtek device.
>
> Oddly enough, I used to work at Intel as a contractor, developing audio
> drivers for their boards.  They stopped supporting Linux when my
> contract ended.

Just curious - is there really anything Intel could do at this point
to improve the snd-hda-intel situation?  My impression is that their
decision to architect the thing such that every vendor can wire things
up their own way (or "add value" in marketing speak) is the root of
the support nightmare that these devices are.

It seems that the only way to improve things would be to either get
every single PC vendor to help, or make the pin configs settable from
userspace and develop a tool to translate from the vendor provided
Windows .inf files.

Do I grok the situation correctly?

;-)

Lee