[alsa-devel] speaker-test stalls

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Fri Dec 14 16:39:37 CET 2007

At Sat, 08 Dec 2007 15:58:40 -0500,
Dave Dillow wrote:

> While working with Fernando to get the sis7019 driver working in his
> buildroot setup, we kept running into a lockup of the PCM stream when
> using speaker-test. aplay was fine, as was other I finally tracked it
> down to a combination of uclibc not doing block reads, which led to
> XRUNs, and what I thought was issue in snd_pcm_lib_write1() when trying
> to fill up the tail of the PCM buffer with a large write, when there was
> an intervening small write.
>
> As it turns out, the lockup problem may simply be in speaker-write's
> sw_params settings -- it calls snd_pcm_sw_params_set_avail_min() to set
> the minium write to the period size, and
> snd_pcm_sw_params_set_start_threshold() to start once the buffer has
> been filled. This doesn't account for odd wave file lengths and XRUNs.
>
> The problem arises when the wave data is not a multiple of the period
> size, and you get an XRUN when there is less than buffer_size samples
> remaining in the current loop.

Hm, it sounds weird.  Basically XRUN means that you have *no* data in
the buffer while the stream is running.  So, when you get XRUN, the
data must be empty, no matter which buffer or period size is.

Anyway, could you get the same effect with another driver,
e.g. snd-dummy?  If it can be easily reproduced, it'll be much easier
to track down...

thanks,

Takashi