[alsa-devel] Writing a new sound driver

Michael Bourgeous sts.nitrogen at gmail.com
Sun Aug 12 00:46:07 CEST 2007

I am the developer of the work-in-progress MyHD/TL880 Linux driver.
The TL880 chip can act as a sound input and output device, but it
doesn't seem to support DMA for sound.  Is it possible to write a
sound driver for ALSA that uses a polling mechanism?  Also, how would
I integrate this driver with my core driver for accessing the TL880?
The chip's features span four separate kernel subsystems: v4l, dvb,
sound, and fb.

I guess my main question is this: what is the bare minimum of code and
hardware functionality required to write a sound driver?

Mike Bourgeous