[alsa-devel] [Regression] snd-hda-intel no longer loads as of alsa-driver-hg20070728

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Fri Aug 10 16:38:30 CEST 2007

At Fri, 10 Aug 2007 14:57:49 +0200,
Michael Gerdau wrote:

> > > snd-hda-intel does no longer load on my Dell XPS M1710 using
> > > alsa-driver-hg20070728. However it works without apparent problems
> > > with alsa-driver-hg20070727.
> > >
> > > I'm running 2.6.22.1-cfs-v19 on a SuSE 10.2 x86_64.
> > >
> > > Find attached an excerpt from /var/log/messages first loading
> > > hg20070727 followed by hg20070728.
> > >
> > > If you need additional info drop me a note.
> >
> > Thanks for reporting.
> >
> > This looks rather like a tempory problem at preparation of tarball.
> > You should have get the correct driver by hgcompile instead of
> > configure.
>
> Hmm.
>
> I tried
>   ./hgcompile --with-sequencer=yes --with-debug=detect --with-cards=hda-intel,usb-audio --with-card-options=seq-rtctimer-default
> which says
> make: Für das Ziel »all-deps« ist nichts zu tun.
> [means: nothing to do for target »all-deps«]

You don't need hgcompile.  It was a tentative solution for that broken
tarball.

> and then invokes
>   ./configure --with-sequencer=yes --with-debug=detect --with-cards=hda-intel,usb-audio --with-card-options=seq-rtctimer-default
>
> This works for alsa-driver-hg20070727 but does not work for any of the
> later versions I tried, including alsa-driver-hg20070810
>
> How temporary is temporary then ;-) ?

The reason is that you are passing wrong configure options.

With --with-card-options, you have to give _all_ necessary options.
When once this option is passed, it resets the all once.
In the case of hda-intel, the following options should be passed in
addition appropriately: hda-hwdep, hda-codec-realtek,
hda-codec-analog, hda-codec-sigmatel, hda-codec-via,
hda-codec-atihdmi, hda-codec-conexant, hda-codec-cmedia,
hda-codec-si3054, hda-generic.
Yeah, there are lots of them.  So, simply stop passing
--with-card-options=... if you are not sure what you're doing :)
Then all options are enabled as default.