[alsa-devel] Website to Wiki migration

Eliot Blennerhassett linux at audioscience.com
Thu Aug 9 02:58:33 CEST 2007

On Thursday 09 August 2007 10:54:29 Ash Willis wrote:
> The Wiki's looking great. It's obvious that you've thought about where
> everything should be and how it should all tie in instead of blinding
> porting the old pages. It's looking very fresh and making much more sense.

Thanks for the feedback

> Is it just me though, or is
> "Vendor-A-trend    Vendor-ALi    Vendor-AMD"
> much harder to read than
> "A-trend    ALi    AMD"?
> Am I OK to go ahead and remove those prefixes or do we want those kept?
> Same with the modules, although I find the module prefixes much easier
> to deal with visually for some odd reason.

Note that there are cross links between Vendor- and Module- pages.

These prefixes are used to generate the lists of vendors and modules
automatically.  Another way to do this might be to use categories Vendor and
Module.   So far I cant see a way to include category list on another page
see:  http://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Matrix_Talk:Main

Here are the standalone category pages.  These lists would be better without
the prefix...

I'd like to hear from the architect of this part of the wiki (Jaroslav) before
embarking on wholesale rename of pages.

> Also, two of the modules that don't have pages were written by myself.
> I'd be glad to make the pages for those modules but I don't really know
> what should go on those pages TBH. IMO, most of the info on the module
> pages is outdated and pointless. At the very least, it's heavily repeated.
> Is this something we should look at? Personally I find that it's letting
> down the rather nice new site.

This page says what should be on a Vendor- and Module- page:

The repeated information is generated using a template. One possibility is to
replace the template contents generic instructions with a link to a single
page with generic instructions.  The template does give the specific module
name in the instructions.

For the module that I work on, I have put specific information at the top of
the page E.g.

I suggest you do something similar E.g.

Driver for cards from [[Matrix:Vendor-]]
{| align="right"
 | __TOC__
==Driver Specific Information==
=== Additional Installation notes===