[alsa-devel] User space drivers

Eliot Blennerhassett linux at audioscience.com
Fri Aug 3 04:55:23 CEST 2007

James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
> Wallace, Brooke wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I've been trying to sort thru the ALSA docs and am starting to get the
>> impression that all of the existing drivers are written as Kernel
>> Modules. Doesn't this mean that they are running in Kernel space and
>> infact are not User Space drivers? Shouldn't there be an ALSA Drivers
>> API document that covers an API that User Space Drivers can use? I must
>> be mssing something here...

What you may be looking for is the plugins API.
Take a look at the alsa-plugins source, there are some examples of
things that talk to other userspace things (E.g. jack or pulseaudio
plugin) or other non alsa drivers (E.g. oss or freebob)

But remember not to put any GPL code in your non-gpl driver ;)

As others have mentioned you may not be able to get much help for this
kind of endeavour if you are not prepared to "show us the source".