[alsa-devel] [Alsa-user] ALSA Newbie - Getting Ensoniq SoundscapeVivo to work? [Solved]

Rene Herman rene.herman at gmail.com
Mon Apr 30 00:04:20 CEST 2007

On 04/29/2007 11:18 PM, Cody Jung wrote:

> Instead I added the following 4 lines to a file and included it in my
> init scripts.
>
> echo activate > /sys/bus/pnp/devices/01\:01.00/resources
> sleep 1
> modprobe snd
> modprobe snd-cs4231 port=0x534 irq=5 dma1=1 dma2=0

Sure, that'll do as well. Bit strange that (/if) you need to "modprobe snd"
seperately; "modprobe snd-cs4231" should pull it in automatically, but not
important.

Do note that if you change the machine's hardware configuration the VIVOs
resources migth change again. If you for example put another card on IRQ9,
the PnP layer won't be able to use the VIVOs preferred options, and will
configure it on irq 7 instead of 5. Checking the resources in the /sys tree
after activating as I showed will work...

> And it works great!
>
> Thanks again for putting up with my incompetence.

Not so much incompetence; just the misfortune that your card isn't (really)
supported by ALSA. That's the kind of thing that immediately gets you deep
into the bowels of a Linux system. Glad I could at least help and as said,
some future verson of ALSA will probably grow a real/better driver for the card.

Rene.