[alsa-devel] dsnoop issues

Gordon Miller gordonamiller at btinternet.com
Fri Apr 27 14:27:00 CEST 2007

Hi

All my snd_pcm_readi calls return too few frames. Also when I switch to
stereo, the sound is muted. I cannot change this by adjusting period &
buffer sizes. dsnoop is enabled by default. The documentation for
snd_pcm_readi says that the only way that the frame count can be short
is because of a signal or xrun. Well this clearly isn't the case.

I think that direct snoop is the cause of this. Are there any remedies ?
because I am roundly SICK of being told that my application must be
wrong "because everyone else's works". I have spent the last 3 weeks
debugging an app - that always worked properly - because of the faulty
dsnoop implementation.

It is abundantly clear that dsnoop is far from ready for use, but I am
prepared to put some work into this.
Whose idea was it to enable dsnoop by default, when it doesn't even work
? I was quite happy with OSS. Changing everything to be alsa entailed a
lot of work, and I am beginning to think it was a complete waste of my time.

ICE1712, 2.6.20.6 kernel, alsa 1.0.14rc1

Gordon