[alsa-devel] How to play a pcm file

Flávio Yuiti f_yuiti at yahoo.com.br
Thu Apr 26 18:26:34 CEST 2007

Clemens,

  thanks for your help. Can you explain what function of alsa api I insert 128kbps value of pcm file? In my example, I'm reading the content of pcm file and writing directly on sound device, however I don't know the length of buffer that I send to sound device. Can be any length of buffer?

  Thanks,

  Flavio

Clemens Ladisch <cladisch at fastmail.net> escreveu:
  Flávio Yuiti wrote:
> I did a test with pcm file and the sound is playing very fast,
>
> snd_pcm_open(&handleSound,"hw:0,0",SND_PCM_STREAM_PLAYBACK,0)

Use "default" as device name. Using "hw" will prevent any automatic
sample format/rate conversions.

> //snd_pcm_hw_params_set_rate(handleSound,hardwareParam,8000,0);

This shouldn't be commented out, and you should check the return
values of all these functions.

HTH
Clemens