[alsa-devel] crash/reboot with rawmidi on ice1712 dual opteron

Daniel James daniel at 64studio.com
Tue Apr 24 16:23:52 CEST 2007

Hi Takashi, hi Florian,

I found a similar MIDI crashing bug on a dual Opteron machine in 2005,
even with only one processor installed, which I reported at the time on
alsa-devel. The card was an M-Audio Audiophile 24/96, normally reliable.

I couldn't replicate this problem on an Asus single processor Opteron
board, so I concluded it was a quirk of my dual socket Tyan S2875
motherboard:

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.alsa.devel/24682/
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.alsa.devel/25323/

Last time I tested it, earlier this year I think, the bug was still
there. I even flashed the BIOS of the Tyan board in case it was a BIOS
bug, but it made no difference. I installed a 32-bit distro and that
made no difference either.

Maybe there is something more generally wrong here, which only affects
dual-processor AMD64 hardware. I can make the Tyan machine available
over SSH if that helps, it has a fixed IP address.

Cheers!

Daniel