[alsa-devel] Fwd: No sound with ATI SB450

Tobin Davis tdavis at dsl-only.net
Sun Apr 22 19:07:00 CEST 2007

I reviewed the changelogs after the patch you found was added, and found
this entry (patch is attached so you can review it):

        Probing the codec slots on ATI controller causes problems on
        some
         devices like Acer laptops. On these devices, reading from codec
         slot 3 results in the communication failure with the codec
        chip.
         Meanwhile, some laptops (e.g. Gateway) have the codec
        connection
         only on slot 3, and probing this slot is mandatory for them.

         The patch improves the probing robustness. The additional slots
         are now checked only when no codecs are found in the primary
        three
         slots.

The problem is that there are so many issues with ATI based chipsets,
that we almost need to fix this on a case by case basis.  Your
particular system has the modem wired to show up before the audio chip
on the HDA bus.  I'm also willing to bet that the acpi issues are
affecting your system as well.

I'm also looking through my email archives to see what other users had
reported to me since I added your system to the driver back in October.
Maybe they can shed some light on these issues.

For a simple test, could you try alsa-driver-1.0.14rc2?  It has your
system, but none of the ATI issues (from what I can tell).  In the mean
time, I'll see if I can come up with a clean solution to this.

Tobin