[alsa-devel] Trying to support hda-intel ALC883_CLEVO

Pablo N. Hess pablonhess at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 06:15:06 CEST 2007

I have a Clevo M600 notebook, which comes with Realtek's HDA Intel audio
chip. 'lspci -vn' says:

00:1b.0 0403: 8086:27d8 (rev 02)
         Subsystem: 1558:0660
         Memory at 6c340000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
         Capabilities: [60] Message Signalled Interrupts: 64bit+
Queue=0/0 Enable-
         Capabilities: [70] Express Unknown type IRQ 0
         Capabilities: [100] Virtual Channel
         Capabilities: [130] Unknown (5)

Linux 2.6.20 (Gentoo's gentoo-sources-2.6.20r4) recognizes it as an
ALC883 chip, but no parameter combination would make the sound work
properly (and that includes 'model=clevo'). As this module ships, no
output would come from the built-in speakers, and the headphone volume
was miserably low.

patch_realtek.c supports vendor=1558 device=0660, but only as a ALC880
chip. However, mine *is* an ALC883 vendor=1558 device=0660.

After copying the ALC880_CLEVO support code lines into a new
ALC883_CLEVO (and changing every occurence of ALC880 to ALC883 in that
new code block), recompiling the kernel and loading the snd-hda-intel
with model=clevo, almost everything started working fine. I mean, sound
comes as perfectly as it can through the built-in speakers, and the
built-in mic also outputs its sound through these speakers.

However, I can't capture anything. Alsamixer shows no capture device at
all (although all playback devices appear to be present).

This is very strange to me, as the built-in mic really *does* output its
sound through the speakers.

As you can probably see, I don't know anything about sound chips. I just
did what seemed understandable (to me) to add proper support for my
ALC883_CLEVO device.

Thank you very much if you can help me solve this issue, as I really
need to speak with my family and girlfriend far, far away.

Cheers,
Pablo Hess