[alsa-devel] CS4270 supported?

Timur Tabi timur at freescale.com
Wed Apr 18 17:46:37 CEST 2007

Liam Girdwood wrote:

> You will need to write a codec driver for the CS4270 and a small machine
> driver for your board (there are lots of examples in my git tree). The
> codec driver will export mixers, configure the digital audio interface,
> setup any codec PLL's etc. The machine driver glues the codec to your
> platform and does any machine specific configuration e.g. gpio, clocks,
> audio mux (on i.MXxx)

Thanks, that's very helpful.  I assume the codec driver will be like all the others in the
sound/soc/codecs/ directory, and that my codec driver will also go there?

> I assume your either targeting the i.MX21/27 or i.MX31 ?

Actually, I'm not allowed to say.  :-)

> Fwiw, I've made a start to i.MX31 ASoC DMA (based on the Freescale BSP)
> and I'm actively working on this atm. dev branch is here :-
>
> http://opensource.wolfsonmicro.com/cgi-bin/gitweb/gitweb.cgi?p=linux-2.6-asoc;a=shortlog;h=dev
>
> However, I don't have any bandwidth atm to work on i.MX21.

I may be able to help you with this after I'm done with my current project.  By then, I
should know enough about ALSA.

>>  If so, does the data sheet
>> (http://www.cirrus.com/en/pubs/proDatasheet/CS4270_PP1.pdf) contain enough information?
>>

> I've had a quick look and I think you have all the information that will
> be required for your driver.
>
> More docs can be found here (must add to new ALSA Wiki) :-
>
> http://opensource.wolfsonmicro.com/cgi-bin/gitweb/gitweb.cgi?p=linux-2.6-asoc;a=tree;f=Documentation/sound/alsa/soc;h=0e0bd3b2531b5c24a53a7cafd14046be7f15f524;hb=dev

Thanks a bunch.  I'll check it out today.

--
Timur Tabi
Linux Kernel Developer @ Freescale