[alsa-devel] alsa on Atmel at91

Liam Girdwood lg at opensource.wolfsonmicro.com
Wed Apr 18 14:44:32 CEST 2007

On Wed, 2007-04-18 at 14:00 +0200, Michel Benoit wrote:
> I'm using gcc 4.1.2 built with buildroot to cross compile alsa lib.
> I've tried it with -O1 as reccomended in the gcc bug discussion but I
> see a similar behaviour.  Now it does not give a
>
> I've turned on debug messages in alsa lib which shows the following
>
> cchange 'default'
> refine_soft 'default'
> refine_soft 'default' (begin)
> ACCESS:  RW_INTERLEAVED
> FORMAT:  S16_LE
> SUBFORMAT:  STD
> SAMPLE_BITS: 16
> FRAME_BITS: 32
> CHANNELS: 2
> RATE: 48000
> PERIOD_TIME: (42666 42667)
> PERIOD_SIZE: 2048
> PERIOD_BYTES: 8192
> PERIODS: 4
> BUFFER_TIME: (170666 170667)
> BUFFER_SIZE: 8192
> BUFFER_BYTES: 32768
> TICK_TIME: 10000
> refine_soft ok 'default'
> refine_slave - leave 'default'
> ********** was set period_size = 0
> ********** was set buffer_size = 0
>
> It seems that that alsa lib is not returning the correct values.  Is
> this typical of the gcc bug?

Iirc, some pcm refinements were being broken by this bug. So it could be
causing the period size = 0.

> What gcc version are you using?

4.1.1

> Can you also send me the parameters you use with ./configure to setup
> the cross-compilation?
>
> I use the following:
>
> CFLAGS="-Wall -O1" \
> CXXFLAGS="-Wall -O1" \
> CC=arm-linux-gcc ./configure \
>     --host=arm-linux\
>     --prefix=$HOME/bsp/rootfs/buildroot/build_arm/root/usr\
>     --with-softfloat\
>     --with-debug=yes

The OE recipe used to build alsa-lib for OE is here (although, it needs
updating):-

http://www.openembedded.org/repo/org.openembedded.dev/packages/alsa/alsa-lib_1.0.13.bb

Btw, have you tried any other tests or aplay ?

What about aplay -Dhw:0.0 file.wav (this should rule out missing conf
files that buildroot has not installed)

Liam