[alsa-devel] ALC882 on Abit AW9D-MAX

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Fri Apr 13 12:25:36 CEST 2007

At Fri, 13 Apr 2007 00:23:22 +0300,
Dan Aloni wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 13, 2007 at 12:11:41AM +0300, Dan Aloni wrote:
> > On Thu, Apr 12, 2007 at 02:34:49PM +0200, Takashi Iwai wrote:

> > > Most of such problems are caused by buggy BIOS, as the driver tries
> > > to set up based on BIOS information if the device is unknown.
> > >
> > > Did you try to pass model options for ALC882?
> > > For example, model=3stack or model=6stack.
> > > Also, position_fix option is worth try to fix some playback problems.
> >
> > Okay, so based on the 2.6.21-rc6 codebase:
> >
> > position_fix=1 fixed the clicks.
>
> BTW I had no success with any of the provided preset models - they were
> less correct than the auto mode (e.g. no rear with 6stack-dig).

OK, that's somewhat expected.

> I also noticed that in the patch I accidently implemented position_fix=2,
> but it seems to work okay too.

Interesting.  As default, the driver behaves as same as position_fix=2
(using a position-buffer), but with an additional check of validity.
Then it falls back to position_fix=1.

Maybe the validity check doesn't work well in your case.  Or, it
happens in some rare condition.