[alsa-devel] Driver for user-space sound source/sink(s)

Alex Makarov makarov.alex at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 15:50:27 CEST 2007

Hi

We're considering implementing the driver for user-space sound
input/output. For example: "Line in" is provided by some application
by streaming data to a file in /dev/..., "Line out" can be read by any
application from /dev/... It would be also nice to have arbitrary
number of streams, for example to have different applications to
"capture" audio from different sources.

I wonder if we reinvent the wheel, or maybe there's an ongoing project
for the similar driver. If not, could anyone advise how this can be
achieved. We had no experience with ALSA before, but pretty strong in
C/C++ development.

Thanks!

Alex