System Maintainers documentation

From AlsaProject
Revision as of 00:06, 8 May 2007 by Soe (Talk | contribs)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search

We have an online <a href="alsa-doc/">installation docs</a> with a section for user contributed notes and additions which is accessed through the soundcard matrix. Feel free to make additions and contributions. This is the official reference for user docs.

We also have an ALSA-HOWTO WIKI. Feel free to make additions and contributions.

The online alsa-docs (above) have info on using the .asoundrc file. There is also a basic overview here and you can find more in the ALSA WIKI and the alsa-lib documentation.

Updating ALSA Kernel drivers

12/09/03

Yes, from our main site - http://www.alsa-project.org .

> If so, then do I have to determine which particular version is
> in the kernel and then source the same versioned lib/utils packages ?

Version is available in linux/include/sound/version.h

> What is the difference between /usr/include/sound/* and
> /usr/src/linux/include/sound/* and where might "<asound/asoundlib.h>"
> be that some packages need for compiling ?

ALSA library has a copy of kernel header files and it is backwards
compatible with ALSA code 0.9 final (which is also in the 2.6 kernel
tree). In other words, you can use 1.0 packages without any problems.

> Is there some sane method to intergrate ALSA from CVS into whatever
> is the latest 2.6 kernel source tree... how ?

ftp://ftp.alsa-project.org/pub/kernel-patches .

or (use BitKeeper):

bk pull http://linux-sound.bkbits.net/linux-sound

or

simply copy files from the ALSA's alsa-kernel CVS module to relevant
locations in the 2.6 kernel tree.

						Jaroslav

-----
Jaroslav Kysela <perex@suse.cz>